Saturday, March 2, 2013

What does God require of man?


Growing up in a Christian church I was taught to love God, to love His word the Bible, to love my fellow man, and to spread the truth of God’s word.  I attempted to implement those items in my life.  However, some of the things the church wanted me to do, like door to door missionizing, just did not feel right.  It seemed to me to be forcing my beliefs on another person instead of letting them seek truth and God’s calling in their life.  I believe that those that truly are seeking truth will hear God calling and find the answers that they need.  So I struggled with the whole proselytizing aspect of Christianity.

One day while studying my Bible I came across a verse that really spoke to me.  It became my life verse because it was God answering my struggle with what He required of me.  The verse was Micah 6:8 which states:  He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”

Now I had an answer for how I should live my life.  A life exemplified by justice, kindness, and humility as I walked along my spiritual path learning from God.  Instead of letting people direct my path by telling me what to believe and what to do, I study His word and humbly seek God’s direction.  I try to implement justice by always doing what is right tempered with loving kindness.  It is what God asks of me and I do my best to answer this request by the way I live.  It requires a spiritual journey from selfishness to selflessness.  A goal that is worth striving to implement because doing so allows God’s divine light to shine through our love and actions.  The Hebrew word for love is Ahava.  It is a verb and not a noun.  May you learn how to transform your love from a noun to a verb!  Doing so will please God.

No comments:

Post a Comment